Sclafani Bagni

Print
15_Sclafani_Bagni-Stemma
 

Altitude: 755 m over the sealeavel
Surface: 133 km2
Population: 479 (sclafanesi)
Neighbouring communes: Alia, Aliminusa, Caccamo, Caltavuturo, Castronovo di Sicilia, Cerda, Montemaggiore Belsito, Polizzi Generosa, Scillato, Valledolmo, Vallelunga Pratameno (CL)
Zip Code: 90020
Dialling code: 0921


The first certain reference to Sclafani dates back to the "Cambridge Chronicle," where it is quoted an episode of 938 in which, in the context of struggles between various Muslim factions for control of Sicily, Halil (one of the warlords) was able to subdue the strongholds of Caltavuturo, Collesano and Sclafani.

Some fleeting clues, however,  suggest the existence also of an earlier byzantine phase.

With the Norman Conquest (1060-1091) the feudal system is introduced in Sicily and Sclafani is initially assigned to Jordan, son of Count Roger; it later came to his sister Matilda and then to Roger’s daughter Adelasia and many others.

In medieval documents the name is documented as Scafa and Scafana or Sclafani.
From the Norman to the Aragonese epoch the territory of Sclafani is dotted with "houses" (small rural settlements), characterized by open settlements, with no walls, inhabited by a few dozen people, whose memory is in place names of certain districts. In the first half of the fourteenth century, the feud is in possession of Matteo Sclafani, who is the owner of one of the most-  economically and strategically - important domain of all Sicily. The town of Sclafani expands,  the walls are rebuilt and  the castl e remodelled.
In the sixteenth and seventeenth Century Sclafani is slowly dismantled through sales of funds and lands. Unlike other towns of the Madonie the population does not seem to increase significantly, mainly for the birth of new settlements in the territory.

Worth visiting: Castello Grande, Castelletto, Chiesa Matrice, Chiesa di San Filippo

15_sclafani-foto 

www.comune.sclafani-bagni.pa.it